Multivitamins (MVM) have been in trends for more than half a century when the global wars led to poor nutrition and people realized that they need a more convenient way to get nutrition. MVM generally consists of an array of vitamins and minerals required by the body, usually to the daily requirements as specified by the health board of that country. However, there are MVMs that are different and serve specific purposes.
Types of Multivitamins:
- Basic: It contains the essential vitamins and minerals up to the necessary limit for each.
- Food-based: Instead of simply serving vitamins and minerals made in labs, they are served alongside food extracts so that your body accepts them as natural.
- Chewable: It has practically the same composition, except that you must chew them instead of swallowing. It works best for people with trouble swallowing.
- Women: Women tend to have different nutrient requirements compared to men. Some MVMs target them specifically.
- Targeted: These MVMs are designed to achieve a particular goal, like gaining muscles or strengthening kidneys.
- Multipill packs: Instead of all vitamins combine into one, these are packs of separate vitamin pills. You get the freedom to avoid any you don’t need.
You can visit any website with coupons and reviews and check out the range of MVMs available with discount offers.
The DOs of Multivitamins:
- Do take your MVMs on proper time. Set certain time each day where you take your MVMs, so that your body is expecting them. Avoid taking them on an empty stomach as they will leave your body before being fully effective. Taking MVMs in the morning have shown better results compared to evening or night.
- Do adhere to the dose suggested by your doctor. Some people consume more multivitamins hoping to see quicker results, but that never happens. In the best case, excessive MVMs will have no effect at all. In the worst case, it can have significant side-effects like nausea, exhaustion or indigestion.
The DONTs of Multivitamins:
- Don’t share the MVMs prescribed to you with your friends or family members. Even though they might genuinely be in need of multivitamins, the nutritional need differs from person to person. Some people might need a specific nutrient much more than others. Thus, it is better if they get the MVMs prescribed by their doctors.
- Do not get confused that MVMs are the alternative to healthy eating. Healthy food is a good thing, but that doesn’t mean it will always provide you with all the essential vitamins and minerals. Unless you carefully plan your portions, some nutrients might be left out. MVMs act as a failsafe to give you all the necessary stuff.
- Do not treat all MVMS as the same. Like we mentioned above, some are generic and some serve a specific purpose. The specialized MVMs aim to achieve specific goals like reducing hair fall or building muscles. Thus, know your needs and see if a product suits them.
- Do not get confused between “vitamins” and “minerals”. They are not the same things in any scenario. While vitamins are complex organic compounds, minerals are inorganic compounds that are mostly metallic in nature. Both of them are required for healthy functioning of the body.
Multivitamins are not the absolute necessity for your body, but they sure are very convenient and effective to keep your body healthy without much efforts. Click here to know more about the potential benefits of multivitamins.