We have many types of procedures for rectifying the problems associated with the knee. It depends on the condition of the knee entirely. Knee replacement surgery becomes necessary when the mobility is severely restricted or the pain reaches unbearable levels.
Process for the surgery
In knee replacement surgery, the surgeon will replace the damaged part so the knee especially the weight-bearing portions. He uses artificial material to help support the leg and the body weight. In knee arthroscopy, the surgeon views the interior so the knee-joint with a viewing device called an arthroscope.
The most common reason for the need for knee surgery is osteoarthritis. This degenerative joint disease may affect not only the knees, but the hips, hand, and back as well. You may have joint inflammation with pain.
Types of surgeries
The knee replacement cost in India is much cheaper. You can have different types of knee replacement. Here are the types.
- Total knee replacement
- Unilateral replacement of knee
- Bilateral replacement of knee
The cost of these surgeries depends on the health of the patient and the facilities available in the hospital. On an average the costs would be as follows:
- For total knee replacement one would have to spend $41,000 in the US and $8,400 in India.
- For the unilateral replacement of the knee you need to spend $30,000 in the US and $3,200 in India.
- For bilateral knee replacement surgery, the costs will be $54,320 and $5,4320 in the US and in India respectively.
Over the past decade or more, India has become the hub for medical tourism. This is due to the improved medical facilities, god support from the nursing and pharmaceutical industries, and the economies of the situation.
Conventional and minimal invasive techniques
Seeing the low knee replacement cost in India many foreigners come to India to have their medical treatment. They opt for minimal invasive technique. In conventional methods, they cut the skin along with the muscle in front of the knee open. The cut is 15-20 cm long. After they flip the kneecap, they separate the thighbone and the leg bones. This procedure is long-drawn and the recovery time after surgery is more.
In minimal invasive techniques, the cut is only 8-10 cm long. The surgeon pushes the muscle aside without cutting them. Nor, does he flip the kneecap and he does not separate the bones of the leg but cuts them in place. This cuts the recovery time dramatically.
Other that osteoarthritis, the people who need knee arthroscopy will suffer from one of these ailments.
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Knee injury
- Death of the knee joint bone
- Unusual bone growth caused due to disorders
- Knee deformity that causes pain
You should consider consulting a doctor when you develop these symptoms.
- Severe pain, stiffness in the knee, or swelling
- Reduced mobility
- Difficulty in executing everyday tasks
- You cannot move around easily
- Normal social life remains disrupted
- Your sleep and quality of life drops
- You experience depression due to your immobility and pain
Do not put off the visit to the clinic when you have one of the symptoms. Consult your family members and friends and get their opinion about how to deal with the situation.